“Insomnia affects anywhere from 10 to 30 percent of adults at any given moment”
We’ve all been there: It’s midnight, you’re exhausted from a long day of work, and you have to be up at 7AM to do it all over again. But in a cruel twist of irony, your exhaustion refuses to do the one thing it was built to do: put you to sleep.
Insomnia affects anywhere from 10 to 30 percent of adults at any given moment, and affects fully half of adults in any given year. While many insomniacs find sleeping pills helpful, these pills can come with nasty side effects including increased risk of injury, dementia, and addiction. Luckily, mother nature has provided us with a safe and effective soporific: cannabis. Whether your insomnia is caused by something as straightforward as back pain, or something as complex as PTSD, studies show that cannabis can greatly reduce the time it takes to fall asleep, and help you sleep through the night.
But just like there are different strokes for different folks, there are different strains for different pains. With hundreds of strains to choose from, matching the right strain to the right scenario can be daunting. That’s why we’ve assembled a list of the top five strains for treating insomnia. Though we usually like our top five lists to be stimulating, we hope this one puts you to sleep.
- Northern Lights – Pure Indica. Originally descended from Afghani landrace strains, Northern Lights is a go-to strain for insomnia. Containing anywhere from 16 to 21% THC, this strain supplies a strong, pacifying body high ideal for entering a deep, dreamless sleep. These qualities have made Northern Lights one of the most famous strains of all time.
- Tahoe OG Kush – 90% Indica, 10% Sativa. A descendant of the OG Kush strain, Tahoe OG Kush is a powerful option for those seeking to reduce stress at the end of the day. With THC levels topping at around 25%, this strain delivers a relaxed, sleepy high that’s perfect for insomniacs.
- 9 Pound Hammer – 80% Indica, 20% Sativa. 9 Pound Hammer hits you like a…well…9 pound hammer. But after the initial wave of euphoria, it eases you into a long-lasting, sleep-inducing body high. 9 pound hammer is a cross between Gooberry, Hells OG, and Jack the Ripper. With THC levels ranging from 18 to 23%, this earthy strain is a potent option for those looking to sleep through the night.
- Afghan Kush – Pure Indica. Originating in the Hindu Kush mountain range, Afghan Kush delivers a nice, euphoric body high. At 21%, its THC content is considerable, but it’s also high in CBD, which gives it extra medicinal value. With a woody taste and a sweet aroma, Afghan Kush is a great strain to end your day with.
- God’s Gift – 90% Indica, 10% Sativa. Containing anywhere from 18-22% THC, this strain is truly God’s gift to anyone who needs powerful stress relief before bedtime. A descendant of Grandaddy Purple and OG Kush, God’s Gift embodies the perfect blend of fresh citrusy flavor and deep euphoric relaxation.
If you’re interested in finding these and other strains at your local dispensary – check out www.stemless.co – who knows? You might even be able to get it delivered to your front door.