In this post we talk about what you need to create great product photos. If you haven’t read why you need them in part 1 of our series, head on over to that post first.
Luckily, you don’t need to break the bank to create polished DIY photos. You just need a handful of things to start out and chances are you already have a few:
- Camera or smartphone
- Lighting Props
- Tape or clips
Here are the items we used in our setup above:
- Sony Alpha a6000 Mirrorless Digital Camera (we used our fancy camera, but your smartphone camera will totally do the job too)
- Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Prime Lens
- Sony Tripod
- Pacon White Plastic Poster Board as background sweep
- The sun!
- Neewer Light Diffuser (also comes with reflectors)
- Elmer’s White Foam Board as reflector/bounce card
- Duck Tape
Here are some products that we didn’t use but also work well:
- Macro lens for smartphone (to get close up details)
- Tripod for smartphone
- Seamless Background paper
- Lightbox with background, tripod and lighting
- DIY lightbox for less than $10
Whatever your setup, make sure that it’s easy to replicate as new products come in. And stay tuned for part 3 of this series where we go over how to take good photos. We’ll also share some from this shoot!